Monday 1 November 2010

Snail Porridge at The Fat Duck



Chatting food fancies with the lovely Tony Lundon.


Grazing with…Tony Lundon


Tony Lundon
GFG: What’s your earliest food memory?
TL: Eating rusks would be my earliest memory I think! Others are of Kimberly Mikados and the smell of chips in the chip pan every Thursday after swimming, scones on a Sunday, and penny sweets after mass (my favourite were the floury teeth at 2p – expensive tastes!) depending on whether I got any pocket money, which was based on the week’s good or bad behaviour.

GFG: what’s the most unusual thing you’ve eaten?
TL: Snail porridge – a dish on the tasting menu at The Fat Duck in Bray, just outside London. Tasted like mushroom cereal. Pleasant, but not a show-stopper.

GFG: Steak – well done, medium or rare?
TL: Medium rare, depending on the country I’m in. In France - medium.

GFG: What’s your idea of the perfect meal?
TL: If it’s a special occasion, I like a tasting menu involving 7 or 8 small but imaginative dishes.
Food as an experience, trying new things or being surprised by the chef – those are the meals I always remember. I’m not concerned about the actual food on the plate (I eat everything except dolphin, dog, liver, horse etc). And I like a menu to have some traditional elements unique to the area or using local produce, as well as those concoctions where the chef pushes the diners. Always happy to see scallops, lamb, goat’s cheese, and a warm chocolate dessert on the menu.

GFG: What’s your favourite restaurant?
TL: The most amazing dining experience I’ve had was at Don Alfonso 1890 in Italy last year.
The table was ours for the night. The food had traditional and experimental elements using local produce grown on the owner’s farm in Capri. The service was outstanding (the sommelier had sussed out my wine budget before I even did!). Afterwards, at 1am, they gave us a tour of their wine and cheese cellars dating BC. The owners stop at your table for a chat, as does the head chef - whether you are a playboy, Mafioso, politician, or Galway man with blue lips from all the wine.

Tony Lundon is a TV presenter and DJ who first found fame with pop group Liberty X.

No comments:

Post a Comment